Apple Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
(adapted from Cinnamon, Spice & Everything Nice and Baking Bites)
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup milk (low fat is fine)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 small apples, grated
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a muffin tin with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
2. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light in color. Add in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture and stir to combine. Stir in grated apples.
4. Divide batter evenly into 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. While muffins are baking, melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. In another small bowl, combine remaining sugar and cinnamon.
7. When muffins are done, cool for a few minutes in the muffin pan, remove from pan and dip muffin top in melted butter, then immediately dip in cinnamon sugar mixture. Cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 regular muffins.